Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Drywall

yea... so here I am all covered in drywall dust.

Since I am out of work for the summer I am more than happy to help with any home improvement projects that I can. We are having a new roof put on so we have a dumpster here at our disposal. Might as well fill it while we have it.


About the roof:

The roof looks so good. They have to come back on Saturday just to finish it up. The roof has been on hold since May. Bob used to do roofing on the weeekends way back when. So he figured him and a couple of buddies would do it. So back in May he buys shingles and tar paper and other roofing stuff. His buddies with hammers and work belts in tow were arriving on Saturday morning. Bob comes home Friday with really bad pains in his head and a rash on his chest that looks like a small patch of poison ivy. uh-oh. Let's make a long story short here. The day Bob goes to buy shingles for the roof he gets em. Let 's say a double dose of shinlges. Or shingles 2 for one. Yes, he gets shingles on his body too!!! Find the irony in that. I mean has that ever happened to anyone else?? If it has....I wanna know. So the rest of the roof is being done by hired hands.

Back to the drywall:

So I get to take down more drywall. Swing a hammer into a wall??? Sounds like fun to me! Last time it was the wall. This time it's a ceiling. So I put on my work clothes. Better get safety goggles. Safety goggles... good thinking on my part since it will be falling into my face. Oh yea..I need work gloves. Well, I can't use mine since the dogs chewed em up. Guess I'll have to resort to using Bob's waytoobig formyhands work gloves or should I say glove. Yes, one of our loving dogs also got a hold of Bob's work gloves. Bob had two pairs ya see but the dogs chewed up two right handed goves. So I'm left with two left-handed gloves and I'm right handed. Being ever so safety concious I wear one left handed glove to get the job done. So I begin. Oh yea... forgot how dusty this crap is. Better grab one of those respirator things the guys were wearing when they pulled the insulation down or out or whatever.

Respirator...check. Hammer...check.....stepstool....check...one left-handed work glove...check.. 2 dogs that have to be with you no matter what you are doing......check. Finally ...safety glasses....check. I found that safety glasses and respirators do not work well together. You see evertime you breath it fogs up the lenses of the safety glasses. A dilemma. Respirator or safety glasses. I went with the safety glasses.. for most of the time anyway. Maybe not a wise choice but it's not like it was asbestos or anything. Just some drywall dust to coat the lungs.

It didn't take too all to long and it was quite theraputical. Now all I have to do is take it by wheelbarrow load by wheelbarrow load down to the dumpster. Gotta bust out the shop-vac too to get up all the tiny little pieces that did not land on the tarp.

One more thing off the long list of things to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Online Degree Programs